The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: A bypass through Avebury ??
20 messages
Select a forum:
scubi63 wrote:
My personal preference would be to restrict the road through the village to cars and buses only (except of access for deliveries) combined with a speed restriction of 20mph and speed bumps or priority chicanes to slow vehicles down. I would also have an extended speed restriction of 30mph between Winterbourne Bassett and the A4.
There are routes through both Marlborough and Calne (although Marlborough may need improving) which can be used to reach destinations along and beyond the A4 The above restrictions would go some way to make the route through the village less of a option for any vehicle unless specifically needing to get to Avebury or surrounding villages.

:) .

I agree with all that you have said Scubi. The discussion has been ongoing for many years now - some of us drop of the end and new people come along to keep it going. Sometimes one of them starts a petition - without thinking through the 'bigger picture' i.e. the impact on the World Heritage Site.

What has always puzzled me about the Avebury WHS is how little provision is made for pedestrians - which is all visitors once they have parked their car or alighted from a bus. There are no designated pedestrian crossings or traffic calming measures anywhere in Avebury, although most drivers do stick to the 30 mph speed restriction.
Far more dangerous, is crossing the A4 from the Ridgeway to East Kennett (a very popular crossing point for walkers) or from Waden Hill over to West Kennet Long Barrow. The proposals referred to by Nigel in the Avebury Parish Traffic Plan seem to have gone very quiet.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
7th February 2016ce
19:00

In reply to:

Re: A bypass through Avebury ?? (scubi63)

Messages in this topic: