The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Foxhole Slade Forum Start a topic | Search
Foxhole Slade
Re: underground unpleasantness
14 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Rhiannon,

I used to do a little bit of caving in the late '80s, early '90s.

Two particular things used to bother me, but I persevered.

One was a situation which is fairly common; making my way, un-roped, along a fluted passage (a vertically 'S' shaped horizontal passage) where there is an unseen drop below you. You don't slide or fall down because your body is contorted into the 'S' shape, thus providing friction, yet the yawning, unseen, black abyss is beneath, waiting for you.

The other was a 'cheese-press'. This involves crawling flat on your stomach along a horizontal passage. In these the floor and ceiling were getting closer together until I had one cheek (of my face!) flat against the ground in order to give clearance of the ceiling for my helmet (on my head!). This usually went on for about 50 yards or so (seemed longer). Eventually, on one occasion, we entered a huge underground cavern called Lancaster Pot. So beautiful it was worth it. As were all the other times I went through my fear.

All the above experiences were in the Ease Gill system on the Lancashire / Cumbria border.

All the best,

TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
17th April 2015ce
20:39

In reply to:

underground unpleasantness (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: