The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Foxhole Slade Forum Start a topic | Search
Foxhole Slade
Re: underground unpleasantness
14 messages
Select a forum:
As a habitual visitor to Arran I have become well acquainted with its many caves - and they are many. Most are beach caves and the others are raised beach caves. They range from the small to large and I have visited most of them. The Black Cave, King's Caves, the raised beach caves south of Lochranza, Catacol and Blackwaterfoot. There are also some up above Corrie. None of them are in any way disturbing or strange. And unusually for me I don't find exploring them claustrophobic or nerve wracking in any way.

However, a few years back, during a mild October visit, we called upon the King's Caves. We walked in from the car park near Tormore. Because it was October and all the greenery was down, some parts of the cliffs were more visible than usual. I noticed an entry in the cliff which I'd not seen before. Myself and my son scrambled up. Normally in summer it was obscured by ivy, rhododendron, long grass, shrubbery etc.
The entry was a narrow crack in the cliff face about the width of a person and as high as the cliff. I climbed in and followed the narrow passage and started feeling rather "hemmed in". The sheer rock walls rose high above me on either side and might even have met in the middle at the top. The passage ended abruptly after about 20 yards with another passage/chamber leading off to the right. I had to step into it to turn around as the passage was so narrow by that point. By this time I felt that I had to leave - immediately. I huckled my way past my son who was following me in. He came back pretty sharpish too. Neither of us could bear to be in the chamber off on the right. We both had head torches and it wasn't the dark which panicked us. To me it was the weight of the rock "closing in" on me and the unknown qualities of the chamber on the right.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/91647.jpg

I've just checked - it was the year of the Chilean Mine Rescue - 2010. It actually happened while we were over on Arran. I'd have been useless at CopiapĆ³!

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
16th April 2015ce
18:43

In reply to:

underground unpleasantness (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: