The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Foxhole Slade Forum Start a topic | Search
Foxhole Slade
underground unpleasantness
14 messages
Select a forum:
Further to the strange landscape thread... I saw TSC's comment about Goblin cities here
http://www.themodernantiquaria[...]post/136965/foxhole_slade.html
and it made me laugh. In a kind of unpleasant wriggly way.

Your photo reminded me of somewhere I saw only last night... we'd been outside having a beer in the sunshine, looking over the lovely landscape (very lucky), and as we left I remembered, what with the hills being totally riddled with holes round here, that I'd read there was a quarry entrance opposite the pub. So we wandered across to an obvious path and up to the rock face... threatening cracked lumps of rock overhead, metal prop things, massive concrete blocks, a mangy notice with the cave rescue emergency phone number, and a horrible big dark hole exuding a big cold damp draft of air. Naturally Mr Rh stuck his face in, wielding the feeble light of his phone: 'ooh it must be massive in here, I can't see a thing', but I just didn't even like being near it.

Perhaps this is just straightforward self preservation? But some people actually enjoy caving, so I understand. But something in me absolutely finds the idea of such places just horrible. (Having said that, I've been in show caves and mines. But they're so tidy and sterile).

I wonder if there's an element of Mr Garner in this even. When I was about 9 my teacher and class were so mad on 'The Weirdstone' that we had to enact it in our PE lessons, leaping across imaginary underground chasms in the gym. Maybe the fear stuck.

So, any tales of underground unpleasantness? Or are you all far more brave than I am.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
11th April 2015ce
19:48

Messages in this topic: