The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: How can Blencathra be for sale?
35 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
When I visited Castlerigg for the first time three years ago, the sunlight and shadows moving across Blencathra moved me deepy. How can a mountain as iconic as this one be for sale? The current owner, Lord Lonsdale, mentions China and Russia as having people wealthy enough to bother. A spurious suggestion - am guessing to promote some outrage. I think its working ...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tra[...]le-yours-for-1.75-million.html

Hi June,

Obviously, Lord Lonsdale needs to sell up in order to pay off a ludicrous inheritance tax figure. He's trying to get a buyer in order not to evict the farming tenants on the estate. He's also stated that he might not necessarily sell to the highest bidder, which seems to be hinting that he would take the asking price from the local group that is trying to raise funds. Seems a decent chap on the strength of that. There's talk of them handing it over to the NT.

It would be preferable for the local group to buy it, but it's not the end of the world if they don't. Blencathra is in the National Park, so it is protected, and any future owner wouldn't be able to do what they want, and certainly wouldn't get planning permission to build houses and such like. Also, the right of access would be protected for the public and sheep farming would continue.

That's why it's a bit of a storm in a teacup in my opinion, but I hope the local group get it.

All the best,

TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
17th May 2014ce
21:07

Messages in this topic: