The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: [Off topic]
253 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
A quick reply by someone who does not dowse, and has only read some of the comments.
My immediate impression is that there has only been one person in favour of dowsing - Astral Cat, unfortunately there have been several 'sceptics' therefore the 'battle' was very one sided.
What we have not had is a dialogue with people who do dowse and who believe in their skills. Asking the question why not? my reaction would be because they are scared of facing such formidable opposition. Therefore in my opinion, apart from scaring off a more open discussion, it has descended into an irrelevant internecine battle as usual ;)
I think Mustard you are probably one of the most clear headed people on this board, and Astral Cat is a delightful personality, but until there is a more open minded approach to the many discussions that could be discussed, we are doomed to follow the same narrow path of justifying our own subjective viewpoints.
Actually I do know one dowser, he dowsed roman buildings up at Sandy Lane and seemed to have been successful in his work.....

Some very good points, there Moss. To clarify one thing though, it's not a case of being scared, it's more 'I can't be bothered' because it's rarely a fair and open minded discussion in these cases, it's more like appearing in front of committee with a fixed viewpoint and the onus is on you. It's not open discussion. It's like the underlying fundamentalism and aggression of the Dawkins mob, it's not that you may have a different viewpoint/perspective, like Rupert Sheldrake for instance, you're 'an ENEMY of reason', and ENEMY. How odd. It happens all the time. I have a keen interest and alternative/complimentary medicine, but the raised hackles and immediate assumption that I'm nut job who hates mainstream medicine and science (both utter bollocks) is so predictable. Open discussion is rarely possible. It's loaded and one sided, even to the point of arrogantly and contemptuously dismissing the philosophies and practices of other cultures. I am not by the way, making references to particular individuals here, more the fact that there's is so much more to know in many areas. It's not about indiscriminate dismantling, it's about investigating and adding knowledge. Unfortunately, that's very hard with the current paradigm, as there main body of the scientific community has become hopelessly entwined with corporate and political interests and funding. We need brave thinkers and pioneers in so many areas, now more than ever, and I honestly believe that it's starting to happen.

This topic is locked
Posted by Astralcat
9th November 2013ce
11:31

In reply to:

Re: [Off topic] (moss)

3 replies:

Re: [Off topic] (Littlestone)
Re: [Off topic] (tiompan)
Re: [Off topic] (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: