The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: [Off topic]
253 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Astralcat wrote:
I've dowsed myself, and got accurate results, and I've also witnessed it in Southern Island, and most recently one of my local pubs which has regular paranormal activity. They had some dowsers in as there is a ley line running through the village and it turned out that the said pub is slap bang on it. Fascinating watching them locate it.

Although I have a friend that dowsers and helped me find something on one occasion, I have never attended a meeting or talk, but will be this coming Saturday. My local village hall has a dowser called Peter Knight giving a talk on the Cerne Abbas Giant which coincidentally we were/are presently discussing on another thread.

Most people have dowsed , as dowsers will tell you , anyone can do it .
Accurate results , of what , that couldn't explained by much simpler means ?
As has been mentioned many times non dowsers find things all the time ,whether archaeological , organic , mineral or simply lost they would explain it as a combination of skill ,luck not gases ,waves , fields or vibes emanating from the hidden . When put to the test dowsers do not perform any better than expected by chance

Actually, some people have more of a natural talent for dowsing whilst others don't. Therefore the results vary greatly. I don't agree that it's as simple as 'anyone can do it'. Most people have some latent ability, but it certainly varies according to the individual.

It depends on what you mean by dowsing . If it is a case of the rods moving ,nearly everbody can do it from children to gg parents .
Dowsing is described as the search with the aid of simple hand held tools or instruments, for that which is otherwise hidden from view or knowledge .Non dowsers do it without the tools and are often successful .The problem is that dowsers don't have much success when actually put to the test of finding stuff .That includes the "talented" who do no better than the untalented and more importantly no better than expected by chance . When it comes to the crunch ,the "latent ability " is really getting the rods moving , not finding stuff that couldn't have been discovered by other means .
You didn't say what your accurate results were .

Rods are the easiest for, but even so some people are noticeably better than others. Dowsing with pendulums, crystals etc is not as easy per se, especially if being used in in terms of divination. My accurate results have included locating an underground spring, lost objects, and also in spiritual work. I bear in mind other factors which definitely have an effect on the likelihood of a successful outcome.

I've dowsed with a pendulum and found it no less difficult ,although some people do find it more awkward.
Non dowsers find underground water all the time , without making claim for locating it by recognition of " subtle energies " similarly , lost objects or anything hidden from view , non dowsers continually find find stuff , the same stuff that dowsers claim they can find but fail to do so .
If you believe you have a skill at finding hidden objects that you believe is due to dowsing would you be willing to put it to the test ?

Dowsing in relation to "spiritual work " is probably closer to what dowsing is all about i.e. purely subjective and no different from other forms of divination .

One instance was standing in a large field in West Cork where a property was being built. I had no knowledge of the locality whatsoever, and easily located an underground spring. As for all forms of divination being subjective, this also depends on the natural psychic abilities of an individual as well. Some people are far more successful using the Tarot rather than the I Ching, for example. Horses for courses and all that. As for putting things to the test for others ? Nope. I'm confident in the areas I operate in and work with and have no desire to perform/be judged by others, basically.

Plenty others are capable of finding underground water in the circumstances you mention ,without resorting to using dowsing as an explanation ,as you say it's easy . West Cork does have a very high water table . Divination is purely subjective ,if it provides some comfort for the diviner , or others , fine .
I was asking if you believed you had an ability to find hidden stuff through dowsing ,not the other areas you may work in .

Yes, but it's the fact that the rods pointed to the exact spot. I was just wandering around in a field, so it's perfectly logical to conclude that it was down to dowsing, whatever different ways others may use, and considering that dowsing is a widespread and very old practice, it's also perfectly logical to assume that it works, for this very reason. As for finding lost objects, I don't think I have a particular ability. It's more of a case of another manner in which dowsing can be successfully used.

Accessing water from an aquifer or water table doesn't require pointing to an "exact spot " ,if you had dug 10 or 20 or 30 metres away in any direction you may well have found the same result ,that's what non dowsers do and have done for millenia and think nothing of it .It's not perfectly logical to think the result was due to dowsing .
If you don't believe that you have a particular ability at finding hidden objects through dowsing , fine , there would be no sense in testing . What is notable is that dowers who believe they do have that ability , and are happy to be tested ,don't do any better than expected by chance ,so you would do probably be equally as successful as the "talented" dowsers in a test .

The dowsing elephant in the room is that that is how I located the exact spot! In a matter of minutes. The fact that I located it via the technique cannot be discounted. As for hidden objects, I have done it successfully on a number of occasions, I just don't claim any personal special ability in this particular area.

But there is no exact spot with th an aquifer or hitting the water table , you picked a spot where there was water , did you try 3-5-10 metres away in various directions to see what would have happened there ?
Non dowsers find water in west Cork and elsewhere quite easily .

Your finding ability would probably be much the same as "talented " dowsers .

I was led to the exact spot of the spring source, by a three or four stages. So much so that it's now the water supply to the property that my Dad lives in to this day and that I frequently visit. It comes out the taps now :-)

Lots of peple in West Cork and elesewhere have had their water supply found by non dowsers , as you said ,it's easy .
You didn't answer " did you try 3-5-10 metres away in various directions to see what would have happened there ? "

I answered that the rods led me. Simple. I didn't try 'metres away'. I wasn't conducting a scientific experiment. I just did it. Plain and simple, which is the point, and as for saying that non dowsers can find it via dowsing, well of course they can. I'm not a 'dowser' on a regular basis at all. I've just used successfully on a few occasions, this being one and the result of the process.

This topic is locked
Posted by Astralcat
7th November 2013ce
15:38

In reply to:

Re: [Off topic] (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: [Off topic] (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: