The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Conclusions...Stone circles, are we learning much?
253 messages
Select a forum:
"Jon , the difference with this case is that it has the engravings , giving it greater interest , for me at any rate ."

Hi George

Originally, the thing that made this interesting was that this type of arrangement would already have to exist in order for Stonehenge to have been built. There would have to be an exceptionally strong motivation to persuade such a loose-knit population to freely give their time to it; and I can see only one seriously obvious candidate for that motivation: A working model of their perceived Universe (Stonehenge) could have been constructed in much simpler materials if it wasn't seen as critical to the survival of the entire community.

The 'pre-stone' arrangements at Stonehenge (and arrangements elsewhere) appear to be set up for the same purpose. But these only exist as one would predict that they must exist, which is a very weak argument. So for me too, the engravings, which appear to describe that purpose, also made this one particularly interesting.

Will let you know what happens! I'm reluctant to develop this unless there's some interest from the archaeological lobby: It would be exceptionally time consuming to prepare.

All the best

Jon

This topic is locked
jonmor
Posted by jonmor
7th November 2013ce
09:16

Messages in this topic: