The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Conclusions...Stone circles, are we learning much?
253 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
[quote="Evergreen Dazed"]

'decomissioning', that was the word I was looking for!
I don't know if you know or can access the info, but is the grooved ware restricted to pits at henge sites?

It varies but not always pits e.g. Woodhenge :post holes D-F ( not A-C ) also below bank and in ditch .
Mt Pleasant :stone hole and ditch Durrington: in pits but also midden and other contexts .Ballynahatty : pits ,Machrie Moor: refuse pit . Balfarg :ditch
Sarn -Y Bryn -Caled: pit . Another factor is that the greater the number of posts the more likely GW is to be associated , as opposed to Peterborough ware .

Brilliant, thank you.
It makes me wonder if complete pots were found in one context more than others, how many were associated with burials, and whether the woodhenge post holes you mentioned (D-F) had any other specific feature absent from A-C.
I could go on asking questions for hours, your answers always bring to mind more possibilities, but hardly fair, I should go and search this stuff out myself. Its just finding the time thats the issue!

[/quote
Sorry , I have mislead you , Burl suggested that post holes A-C , which did have Beaker sherds (although high in the fill and secondary ) were later than D-F which belonged to the GW phase ( found in the ditch and under the bank ) . A , C and E also had transverse arrowheads confirming a possible temporal association with GW , and making the two phase suggestion problematic .
The size of the assemblage is nearly always sherds often 1-3 ,and when bigger numbers often representing multiple vesels .At Wyke Down it was possible to partially reconstruct three vessels and the there is a reconstucted vessel (20 sherds ?) from Durrington in Salisbury museum .

This topic is locked
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
5th November 2013ce
13:48

Messages in this topic: