The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Conclusions...Stone circles, are we learning much?
253 messages
Select a forum:
Ahhh, we could be here for hours....my take on the 'purpose' of stone circles, however trite it may appear, is that they were sort of 'community centres' which encompassed a variety of functions from meeting/trading place to the more favoured 'ritual' use. Right from the outset of my interest I've always been a bit guarded about, not to say very much put off, by the more 'hippy-dippy' explanantions based on astronomical alignments, always preferring the notion of particular settings within the landscape over those linked to the solar system/universe. The plain fact that some of them have these alignments shouldn't define their roles whilst equally the fact that the majority don't must indicate more mundane uses than always for particular ceremonies at special times of the year. I agree that the huge spread of time over which they were constructed must have influenced their usage though of course technology/ideas would have evolved much less rapidly in those days than they do now. Much of my enjoyment of them lies in not knowing what they were for or why they were built; they just 'are' and generally for me their sheer antiquity (and survival) is enough to celebrate.

This topic is locked
ironstone
Posted by ironstone
25th October 2013ce
14:13

Messages in this topic: