The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Lake district question. TE ?
11 messages
Select a forum:
Hi harestonedown,

If you had asked me this question about 10 years ago I would've told you and then have had to have killed you.

The story is this: -
Someone (A Keswick/Borrowdale local) found a cave below some huge boulders, and decided to make a retreat for himself. He made a fireplace with the flue being inserted up a vertical passage. A fireplace was made. Also, a series of pipes were inserted in order to take gas from a big Gaz container. These pipes fed a series of gas lamps. Also, there was a lever on the outside that, when pulled, opened the steel door. The frame is still there, but, alas, the door isn't.
Also, there were a number of bunk beds constructed, which are still there today.

This was a secret. A mate of mine from Keswick tried to get me to find it with him. It was so secret we failed. He was told that you had to find it for yourself.

Unfortunately, someone found it, Trail magazine were informed by the bastard involved, and next thing you know the place was wrecked by the tossers that Trail magazine attract. I had to laugh when a friend showed me an article in that rag that was detailing a "quiet place for a wild camp". Well, let's face it, it won't be a "quiet place for a wild camp" for much longer will it, now those dickheads have spilt the beans.

It's below Cam Crag on Glaramara, at a place called Woof Stones.
If you need any more info, just ask.

By the way, you need to go further along Langstrath than Black Moss Pot.

All the best,
TE.

Reply | with quote
The Eternal
Posted by The Eternal
13th July 2013ce
23:59

In reply to:

Lake district question. TE ? (harestonesdown)

Messages in this topic: