The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Hill-fort Survey
28 messages
Select a forum:
The concept seems positive, the objectives are laudable. The use of volunteers is workable, as long as they are given some decent archaeological surveying training (I'm not sure how much long-term use the data will be if it just says "there are some bumps").

But part of me does worry that this is more evidence of getting people to do work for nothing, work that would previously have warranted employing people and properly training them to do this kind of skilled enterprise.

You could argue that this is not practical in the current climate ("they're cutting the NHS for goodness sake, surely money is better spent on hospitals than surveying hillforts, etc etc") and you could well be right, but personally I'd happily see some of our defence budget go and EH, RCAHMW, etc be given the money to employ people to carry out this properly, in a way that would add vast value to the data for future generations to study.

In Wales, the upland monuments are being comprehensively surveyed and mapped by the various regional Archaeological Trusts* - would it not be better to fund bodies like that to carry out this work? I'm not suggesting that they couldn't use volunteer resources to help them, just that in my mind the project justifies a heavier bias towards using skilled, professional resource and paying the people involved fairly for that work. In government-speak, creating some real employment opportunities in the heritage sector.

*http://www.cpat.org.uk/wat.htm

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
9th July 2013ce
19:30

In reply to:

Re: Hill-fort Survey (Evergreen Dazed)

1 reply:

Re: Hill-fort Survey (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: