The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   County Longford Forum Start a topic | Search
County Longford
Re: irish midlands
11 messages
Select a forum:
Hi I received an email from swarrilow with an outline of his book which sounds very interesting.

Granard’s Standing Stones” is the story of the area’s early monuments. Over twenty hitherto unrecorded and unlisted sites and features were identified within a 3-mile radius of Granard town, here described in full and placed in their archaeological landscape.
45 (B&W) photos, 12 maps and illustrations, folklore and other interpretations are included. The book formed part of a community-based initiative to raise awareness of, and preserve, the monuments, which faced a perilous future. The project involved talks, presentations, field-trips, workshops and media coverage. It succeeded in putting Granard on the archaeological map and saving several of the sites, and has been cited/acknowledged by the IAI, UAS, JRIA, SMR/RMP Inventory, and in “Granard- Its History, our Heritage”, “The Irish Emigrant” and other publications.
The initial imprint (900 copies) has sold out but the author still has some copies for sale, at £10 or €12 each (incl. p&p). Please e-mail : [email protected] for details.

Its pretty amazing that so much could lie undocumented in such a small area.
I know in the area I grew in Tipperary some earthfast bullaun stones were only rediscovered recently.

Reply | with quote
bawn79
Posted by bawn79
18th April 2013ce
09:01

In reply to:

Re: irish midlands (swarrilow)

1 reply:

Re: irish midlands (AidanP)

Messages in this topic: