The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: Stonehenge AGAIN!
30 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
I've not been to the henge for donkeys now but assume the infamous 'rope' is still being used. If so, are there any plans afoot to change it to a more permanent feature does anyone know such as a rail or something else heaven forbid?

First off it's not a henge.

Second, er, off, there is an evil plan afoot to install an electrified rail which speaks 15 languages and fires lasers at the stones, ultimately destroying them.

Its an outrage. Write to the Daily Mail, Sanctuary, quickly now, for time is of the essence.

You might argue that the name Stonehenge spawned the (inappropriate) use of the word henge elsewhere ;-) If so (and I’m not sure) the pedigree lies with Stonehenge and all the other henges are misnomers.

It reminds me of the squabble between two fellas (one American one English) arguing the toss over whether the front window of a car should be called a windshield or a windscreen. The American insisted it should be called a windshield because they (the Americans) had invented the automobile.

The English fella replied with a, “Look mate, you may have invented the automobile but we invented the language.” :-)

Yes,'hanging' or 'hinged' or, perhaps, as i'd like to think, 'hedgehog'.
And it probably did all originate from that there monument. But.. what we now refer to as a 'henge' ..well, Stonehenge just isnt one. Its got its bank and ditch the wrang wey roooond.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
21st March 2013ce
13:28

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge AGAIN! (Littlestone)

2 replies:

Re: Stonehenge AGAIN! (Littlestone)
Re: Stonehenge AGAIN! (harestonesdown)

Messages in this topic: