The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
761 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
Quite. The subtext is that I'm being characterised as a blinkered nitpicker for opposing these two statements by 2 people early in the thread:

“The re-erecting of the stones at Avebury is a no brainer”

and “The argument for leaving the Avebury stones buried or fallen is a spurious one”

Well I oppose them alright and so does every archaeologist no doubt (including Mike Pitts). So just to clarify what I've actually been saying all along (not what others might want to represent me as having said):

The proper approach should be a compromise between the present and the future with the bulk of the cake being bequeathed to the future.

That's not obstructionist, it's not negative and it wouldn't be seen as wrong by archaeologists - or the future.

We don't know how the kids will think though do we? I'm one step away from the way you think, as are all the other people my age [and younger] i've spoken to about Avebury and they all think we should put some of the buried stones back up and learn more about the place at the same time, you're way of thinking imo will be outdated in 20 years time.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
25th January 2013ce
16:01

Messages in this topic: