The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
761 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
I was only pulling your leg, and his. Although he did draw the Sanctuary as egg shaped so I'm entitled to be wary of him.

I'm actually a big fan of his and I think the reason so little of the B Ave has been found is that the stones were placed on not in the ground. Ditto WKA maybe.

Having said that, I'm not the myseryguts you're portraying me as, I'm merely reacting as mainstream archaeologists would, so my conscience is mighty clear. Try writing to any of them. I bet you they'll sound as negative as me.

Here's some more negativity. If I drove to Avebury from Malboro and arrived at the World's second greatest WHS and the first thing I saw was a modern mock up of a stone circle and a modern mock up of an Avenue, all Las Vegas-like, I'd think it was a right dive!

If the stones of the BH avenue were placed on the surface then that means they were obviously brought there...so why not take them away when they were no longer wanted...why bury them? The BH Cove stones were earthfast and the socket of a missing one was discovered so why do you think they were possible set on the surface? I don't consider 9 more stones discovered aside from Eve as a 'little amount' discovered in the avenue with another 6 detected possibly from other structures.
Yes I know you're a fan of William as I am and was delighted when he was proven to be right. He sounds quite a character!
There's nothing wrong with negativity as long as it is coupled in with a little hope which seems to be missing. This was a Complex that was built to be seen and 'used' not allowed to remain buried and almost forgotten about IMO. Just a few more snapshots of the more complete picture shouldn't be too much to ask for surely. And it doesn't have to look like Vegas. Jeez if Neolithic man could make a good fist of what he did I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to come up with something sensible and in keeping with what they left behind for us.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
25th January 2013ce
09:07

Messages in this topic: