The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
761 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
marmite wrote:
ocifant wrote:
But the concrete posts aren't trying to be fakes stones, they're merely markers of where the stones used to be.

Fake stones would be a pretense, surely?

I never said that the concrete posts were trying to be fake stones..but I think personally in this instant I would prefer to see the "fake" pretense stones than concrete posts..but each to there own ;)

If in the distant past stones got damaged during their 'useful' lifetime, I wonder if when they were replaced they were then considered fake or simply 'replacements'? Unless each stone was selected because of its shape/colour/size/whatever then it was just a stone and would mean the same then as it would now, just newer...although still over a million years old!

I was just thinking similar Roy..If the stones were chosen carefully from "old" stone and not from newly quarried stone(The Devils Quoit)then I couldn't(imo)see a problem with replacing the concrete posts with the newer "old" stone...

I would think also that they would be seen as "replacements" and not "fakes" but again this is only my opinion ;)

Reply | with quote
marmite
Posted by marmite
24th January 2013ce
16:28

Messages in this topic: