The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury/The Sanctuary
761 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Aye, it is interesting, and re brains being wired differently, responding to differnet things, I think theres every chance thats true!
Why are we even interested in this subject anyway, for example?
I do ask myself that from time to time. Its like I 'recognised' something, when I first encountered ancient sites. I'm extremely drawn to the subject, but, really, why?!
I can atrribute it to all sorts of things, but I don't think that question can be fully answered, if you know what I mean.

I put it down to childhood entertainment ;)

I think in the 80s when I was growing up, children's TV and literature was positively saturated with references to our historic and mythic landscape.I reckon that was a big factor that influenced my interest in such things.

You may well be on to something there, but without wishing to get all mystic meg, I feel its already 'inside' in some way, and the literature/TV etc simply unlocks it, or helps you to recognise it in yourself.

Quite possible. I've never understood people who can look at Avebury with disinterest, and say "but I don't get it... it's just a bunch of stones?".

I know! I've taken people there and sometimes I can tell they just don't 'get' it at all, and have no idea why I would be fascinated by it. I'm there, gobsmacked every time, drinking it all in, so happy to just 'be there', feeling the effect the place has on me, and feeling for want of a better phrase 'at home', and they're checking their phone wanting to know what the football scores are or soemthing. Argh!
This is bigger news for the universe than whether Liverpool are winning! :)

Its like people operate on differing frequencies or something.
I think im on longstone wave.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
24th January 2013ce
13:55

Messages in this topic: