The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
761 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
Harryshill wrote:
Lol. Your stalling.

Raising the stones won't protect them and you know it

I know it wont, though i'm of the view they wouldn't need protecting.

Let's say a buried piece of sarsen would last 10 million years, though it'd never be seen, a re-erected piece lasts 9 million years and is enjoyed by a countless number of people, is that a good trade off ? imo yes.

One of the 'factual' reasons for raising the stones at Avebury was that it would help protect the stones both from what, weathering? and theft

This I believe is factual 'bull shite'

Well i guess i should let others answer that as they aren't my reasons for wanting re-erection.

The one and only reason for raising the stones should be to put them back in the setting where they once stood and as intended by our Neolithic ancestors. Avebury is not Avebury as intended without them! Simples!

The people that built Avebury walked away from it. Finished, done with, moved on.

Ah i see, so we should scrap the last remaining spitfires too then. ?

Spitfires? what the hell have spitfires got to do with anything. The people that built Avebury gave it up, took a walk, whatever.

Factual. So I'm told. The stones are better protected if they are erected.

Lets see some evendence for that.

Why not use spitfires as an example, they no longer serve any real purpose, they're just historical relics, though ones people take a huge interest in, similar to the Avebury monuments. As for evidence i can't give any, as i've already explained that's not my angle on it, i just want them back up to compliment what is already there.

I would say to complete as best we can what is already there (having to accept that many others are now lost forever).

Most of the East side of Avebury is there to be restored [they reckon it may be graded and the stones smaller in the North East, i'm not sure though], some of the beckhampton avenue and a little bit of the west kennet avenue in the hedge by the A4 needs sorting out [3 stones stood out a mile a few weeks ago, in the summer you can barely see them], all would improve the place loads.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
21st January 2013ce
23:52

In reply to:

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: