The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Re; Avebury
761 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
VBB wrote:
Hence, I don't understand why anyone wants to do anything to change the site beyond preserving what we can.

Hmmm...

Obviously those who moved Abu Simbel to higher ground, restored Angkor Wat and Borobudur had a rather wider vision for preserving and promoting their heritage sites.

There's plenty of ancient sites that would be little more than collapsed piles of rubble if they hadn't been restored. I don't honestly have much time for the "preservation for the sake of preservation" mentality. These places are living, breathing pieces of history that change with the generations. They are not - and nor should they be - sterile time capsules. Obviously, where restoration work is destructive, it's relative merits need careful assessment. But when it comes to stones at Avebury, buried in medieval times, being returned to their correct positions alongside their neighbours.... I really struggle to see the remotest objection.

By way of a practical and recent example to illustrate the point, does anyone really feel that a muddy piece of churned up ground was preferable to this?

http://www.isleofalbion.co.uk/sites/131/the_devil%27s_quoit.php

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
21st January 2013ce
14:36

In reply to:

Re: Re; Avebury (Littlestone)

3 replies:

Re: Re; Avebury (bladup)
Re: Re; Avebury (VBB)
Re: Re; Avebury (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: