The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: The Stukeley Line
761 messages
Select a forum:
Harryshill wrote:
No. I don't have any rational reason for digging up any more stones. I think it works as it is. I don't want to rebuild Avebury, Stonehenge, Corfe Castle or any of the other 'ruins'. They are fine as they are.

I see nothing unreasonable about that. If people wish the opposite then thats fine. But I don't.

I'm happy with the status quo. I think that it actually come down to that. Some will wish it rebuild, and some wont. some will fight to make it happen and some wont. I doubt very much that this conversation has any great effect on that result at all. It's a Yes or No situation as far as I can, see and I say no.

The reason for getting them back up that keeps coming into my mind is that the age of the holes dug to topple the stones and the reason why the prehistoric archaeology has been destroyed [which lets us put them back up] will one day themselves be seen as an important part of the Avebury story and the holes seen as archaeology themselves, eg you can't have the stones to stand back up because it's part of this bit of Aveburys story, I say get them back up before this happens, but i do understand the other side as well because Avebury has an interesting story in modern times, it's basically a history of England in microcosm.

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
20th January 2013ce
23:48

In reply to:

Re: The Stukeley Line (Harryshill)

1 reply:

Re: The Stukeley Line (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: