The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
761 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
I'm with you Roy, even after reading through the entirety of the thread i can't see and reasonable reason why not to.Yeah we could wait forever for techniques to evolve but that way we'd never get anything done.

For the record i'd also open EKLB, you could cite preservation as the reason as there's no doubt the trees and badgers ARE damaging it, or we could wait and lose a whole load of knowledge.

Have you had a change of heart on the barrow Geoff? I have it in my mind that you were in favour of leaving it at one stage. I would like to see the exterior excavated to a degree to see how much damage the trees were actually doing rather than us guessing at it. If it was severe then yes, get in before it is too late.

Slight change Roy, i wanted the place consolidated to lessen further damage initially, now i'm of a mind it should be excavated before any more damage is done, under the proviso everything is replaced (including any finds) as close to how they found it as possible.

I know it's the only untouched one in the region and that's my main reason for excavation, what are we losing by not excavating ? those badgers don't live a tidy life, they move things around and therefore we lose context for one.

Reply | with quote
harestonesdown
Posted by harestonesdown
20th January 2013ce
19:05

In reply to:

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: