The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   King Arthur's Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
King Arthur's Hall
Re: King Arthur's Down double stone circle
60 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
You should suggest it to the people who are going to do the enhancement to the stone circles, If you don't ask you don't get, really just a date would be nice.

All in hand so watch this space!

Great stuff.

Interesting what PastScape concludes with:-

'There are no traces of associated linear banks or earthworks. The origins and purpose of the enclosure remains obscure but the effort required to both excavate or import material for a bank of such proportions and to erect the slabs suggests that it had a more important function than just an animal pound'.

I totally agree, for me as soon as you look to Brittany it makes a lot more sense, and is the best way to guess it's age [late neolithic - early bronze age i'd say], I "feel" ritual and i felt it there [as it sounds like you did too], an animal pound no matter how flash wouldn't "feel" like that, I can't help thinking of a sacred pond, a ancient man made Dozmany pool if you like [a bit smaller granted], but with Arthur links again, I wonder if the middle is empty of finds because if it was a sacred pond it could be full of finds and offerings [They'd soon excavate it if they thought that].

Reply | with quote
bladup
Posted by bladup
12th January 2013ce
12:14

Messages in this topic: