The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   King Arthur's Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
King Arthur's Hall
Re: King Arthur's Down double stone circle
60 messages
Select a forum:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
Roy, you really need to get the Stripple stones henge very nearby, as i'm sure it will give you a better understanding of King arthur's hall, apart from the shapes they are very similar, and it may have been a case of "they've got a circle, we'll have a rectangle", I imagine the builders of King Arthur's Hall came from France, because in Brittany it wouldn't be out of place at all, the circle henges are all connected and a route may have gone all the way to stonehenge [and way past] with it's own rectangle [The station stones] and it's other Brittany symbolism.

But it also reminds me a little of Achavanich. (Great U of Stemster)

Very very similar, but a little further away than the stripple stones [this doesn't make your link any less though], they're like places built by people who wanted to build circles but maybe weren't allowed by the "locals", but it was maybe ok to the locals for them to build something similar [just not a circle].

Ha, just a little further!
A Brittany link could well be the case at KAH, but when talking about KAH it's always worth considering Stemster, as its very similar and almost certainly not from the land of the garlic. :)

Don't count your garlic chicken on that, the stone axe trade networks were huge, and jade axes from the alps [they would have been taken first to Brittany] have been found a good few times in scotland, the jade axes and the people who brought them would have been a draw on the way up from monument to monument, a bit like an ancient celebrity - and tonight at the rollrights come and see the jade axe [and some Brittany kings and queens] on it's/their way to the new member of the axe network all the way near the top of the mainland at Stemster.

Sacrebleu!

Obviously we can all push the pieces around til they fit, a lot of people write 'books' that way.
Perhaps they were too busy with their garlic chicken to build any others of similar type on their celeb journey from Cornwall to Caithness!

This is true but you must admit one at the very bottom [almost] and one at the very top [almost] is a strange situation, maybe in their minds if they built one at the top and one at the bottom they thought the whole island was theirs [they just didn't tell anyone], but through the island they'd have to use our [already in place] network, remember up at the top of Scotland is where you may have traded with certain scandinavians.

Aye, I've always thought those two monuments being virtually top and bottom was curious. One of those things that sits in the back of your mind and you hope one day will reveal something.
But, really, who knows. So many possibilities.

To be honest i could see them both holding water in their heyday, it could be done with a little layer of clay, sacred man made ponds if you like.

Could you imagine KAH holding water Roy?

Bugger, just replied Paul but it vanished into cyberspace!! Here we go again.
Yes 100% if there was no open drainage built in. By its very nature it produced a 'tank' so had to gather the wet stuff. Even though it has now silted up it still 'floats' under your feet in the middle so retains its moisture. My own gut feeling is that it was meant to be dry and was drained.

I love how it's intrigued you, the place should be more well known [because of it's rareness in this country], do you know where the name came from?

Yes, where half the other names in Cornwall come from allegedly, when King Arfur paid it a visit. The Down was named in his honour as well.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
10th January 2013ce
20:47

Messages in this topic: