The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   King Arthur's Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
King Arthur's Hall
Re: King Arthur's Down double stone circle
60 messages
Select a forum:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:

Most of the stone circles around that way have there stones set radially

Thats the first i've heard! But i'm prepared to be proved wrong.

The only one I can think of in the area off the top of my head is Guidebest. Is that a radial circle?

The stones at Guidebest are not set radially . With the exception of the Broubster and Stemster "horseshoes " those that are , tend to be further south e.g. Cnoc an Liath Bhaid .

Yes, the 'settings' (Broubster etc) are but B was talking about circles.

There's no doubt that some , but not all of the stones at Achinduich are not radial as at Cnoc an Liath Bhaid . Others in the area certainly conform to the more usual setting .

Cnoc an Liath Bhaid looks a great site.

While you're here T, (and sorry to others for briefly going OT) but i'm halfway through 'The Green Isle of the Great Deep' by Gunn. Superb. Disorientating, but superb!

I haven't read anything by Gunn in a long time , must return .
There is no-one quite like him , the extreme imaginative stuff rooted and coupled with that landscape and culture is timeless . An odd period to be a writing too , it must have had as big an impact as WW1 .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
10th January 2013ce
16:35

In reply to:

Re: King Arthur's Down double stone circle (Evergreen Dazed)

Messages in this topic: