The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   King Arthur's Hall Forum Start a topic | Search
King Arthur's Hall
Re: King Arthur's Down double stone circle
60 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
With regard to Stemster, well I don't see the connection. No banks and no inner lowered area, just a horseshoe arrangement of stones with an open end.

I can understand you thinking that from reading or looking at pics, but if you'd been there you'd see what we mean.

Point taken but could you clarify that a little more please ED?

Well, the centre area feels very similar to KAH. The Stones, although set radially, enclose in the same way too. Like you said, on paper they are not the same 'type', but they give the same feeling to a visitor.
Being so far away from eachother, and very likely being built by different communities, perhaps they were individual designs of the same thing. The same purpose.
Thats my thinking.

Has it been dated do you know or does it give the 'feel' of being Late Neolithic/Early BA like KAH does to me? You may be right and there is a 'connection' but until dated these two sites could be light years apart and purely coincidental in the style of build. Interesting nevertheless though and worth bringing to the table.

I'm not sure if it's been dated but I would imagine BA.
Even if they were from different periods it doesn't mean they couldn't be different versions of a similarly functioning site. Indeed the difference in style but the same feel could possibly be an indication of that.
Of course, coincidence is always possible too.

One of the bleakest sites i've ever visited though, I know that.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
10th January 2013ce
12:18

Messages in this topic: