The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Newgrange book
235 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
Just saw this posted by the superb 'Megalithic Monuments of Ireland' on FB. Looks interesting.

"Newgrange: Monument to Immortality" by Anthony Murphy

http://www.theliffeypress.com/[...]e-monument-to-immortality.html

"Deep into the mind and soul of his ancestors " ? I' would be suspicious of anyone who said that about a contemporary never mind someone from 5,000 years ago .
I did read " Island of the Setting Sun. " . Not recommended , mostly fantasy and when they did get into the astronomy etc lots of mistakes . There is a another recent book on the same subject but the author makes no bones about it it being fiction

Fair comment Tiompan ... wasn't planning to buy it myself but thought I'd give it a plug in the spirit of keeping this often interesting Ireland thread going - and give the Megalithic Monuments of Ireland website a plug at the same time.

I like to support the efforts of others whenever I can.

In that case I'll plug the excavators "Newgrange :archaeology ,art and legend . by Michael J O'Kelly . Hasn't been bettered imo .
It's about time that there was a comprehensive study detailing all the engravings in the Boyne . Possibly something political obstructing this .

Thanks, as its you recommending it I might just put in a request to Santa (not that I believe in him of course).

And in that case mibbe George Eogan's : Knowth . As ,among the detail , it has a great description of him entering the passage and chamber . Or both from the library .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
6th November 2012ce
20:20

In reply to:

Re: Newgrange book (tjj)

1 reply:

Re: Newgrange book (CianMcLiam)

Messages in this topic: