The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: Glencolumbkille, Donegal
235 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Yesterday I was given access to some letters written in the early part of 1972 by a young Englishman who had just moved to Belfast for work. The letters convey some of the great unease of living and working in Belfast during the height of the troubles. It seems that people who were able to often went over into Donegal to spend time away from the stress of Belfast - I picked up on this extract from one of the letters ...

"We stayed at a little place called Glencolumbkille which, if you look at the map, is as far west as you can possibly get in Donegal ... We explored the village with its souterrain in the churchyard and Celtic standing stones all around. We took a look at a megalithic tomb in the middle of nowhere ... "

I would be grateful if someone could identify where these monuments are and what they are known as. I guess there would not be that many churchyards. Would like to visit one day.

Beautiful area .Try to avoid the tourists/buses in high season though .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
30th October 2012ce
11:37

Messages in this topic: