The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Trespass on SSSI sites
380 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
This is helpful ... I wonder if the people who consider it their 'right' to go up there see what they are doing as 'interference' - or rather 'their heritage'.

Needless to say, most of us on TMA are guilty of the act of trespass (in its civil definition) the minute we step off a footpath and onto someone's land unless we have their permission to do so. This is one of the reasons I much prefer days out in access areas to English farmland. Ultimately, unless we have permission we could all be sued in a civil court.

However, although a landowner could bring an action for trespass, unless they can show (on the balance of probabilities) that damage was caused as a result of the trespass, it would appear to be a pretty pointless action to bring, as it would be difficult to see what compensation could be sought, other than a nominal amount.

I don't think a court (civil or criminal) is likely to recognise a defence that we were just visiting our heritage. :o)

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
3rd September 2012ce
21:23

In reply to:

Re: Trespass on SSSI sites (tjj)

2 replies:

Re: Trespass on SSSI sites (thesweetcheat)
Re: Trespass on SSSI sites (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: