The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Highland (Mainland) Forum Start a topic | Search
Highland (Mainland)
Re: Contemporary natural shrines upon the landscape.
24 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
Don't know about down your way but I find it quite strange that lots of 'modern' cairns e.g. those built with stones and cement seem to appear on hills quite a lot up here, especially those dedicated to landowners and various lords and ladies in the 1800's onwards. Some of these people probably deserve their memorial but others are probably guilty of destroying circles and cairns etc., so somewhat ironic to have a cairn built to remember them.

No hills down my way to put cairns on, Mr D. Not that you'd call hills, anyway. I mean, you Scots call The Cuillin 'hills', do you not? Guess the Essex equivalent are little roadside shrines to traffic accidents.

I guess what these cairnfields seem to have in common is easy access... and a fantastic view. So why the latter? What's the connection between remembering a loved one and doing so whilst looking at a fabulous view? Why the linkage to nature at its most glorious? Very pagan, is it not? To me there does seem to be a definite echo in these contemporary actions of Bronze Age people placing their cairns in such glorious locations

The Cuillins are an easy enough climb on a good day but they are spectacular.

There probably is a connection to ancient people and their beliefs but I tend to believe or hope that people do these things as it seems the right thing to do. I'm a very green person, no pun intended, but I'm not a pagan but respect them, certainly the one's I know (all lovely people who tidy up after themselves as well). The view is for everyone, let's hope everybody looks after it unlike the 'muppets' at Louden.

Reply | with quote
drewbhoy
Posted by drewbhoy
1st July 2012ce
22:28

Messages in this topic: