The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonea Camp Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonea Camp
Re: Stonea (reconstructed) Camp
7 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Well, in my view it's better to have something put back. As long is it is faithful to the original plan and scale (I imagine the layout was still completely apparent, or at least recorded). Obviously the earthwork isn't strictly "original", and the methods of construction "inauthentic", but does it really detract? By having the earthwork restored, at least the site's landscape context is also restored, which to my mind is an essential aspect of any prehistoric site. Also, it presumably will make it less likely to be ploughed out again. If it had been left, there was a fair chance of the rest going the same way.

Finally, it may provide a useful opportunity to measure erosion, etc, like the experimental earthwork on Fyfield Down.

Perhaps it may serve as a hopeful example for Priddy's future?

I agree with this view wholeheartedly - there is an ongoing process of repairing the gradual damage of erosion which is often exacerbated by irresponsible behaviour (see news item on Roddenbury hillfort). Another example is Avebury to some extent, work to counteract the erosion caused by footfall is ongoing by replenishing the banks with new chalk on a regular basis.

There is a saucer/disc barrow in a field near Albourne in Wiltshire - when I first saw it I was told by someone with good local knowledge that the farmer had ploughed it out and was later obliged to reinstate it. It looks authentic and can be clearly seen from a distance.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
30th March 2012ce
08:52

In reply to:

Re: Stonea (reconstructed) Camp (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: