The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Gardoms Standing Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Gardoms Standing Stone
Re: Gardom Edge. Shadow casting monument
17 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:

The researchers used a 3D computer model to analyze how the stone would have been illuminated throughout the different seasons four millennia ago, given that the tilt of Earth's axis has changed over time.

Their model showed that the slanted side of the stone would remain in permanent shadow during the winter, while it would have been illuminated only in the morning and afternoon during most of the summer. At midsummer, the sun would have lit the stone brightly all day.

"The use of shadow casting in monuments of this period is quite rare in the British Isles," Brown said. "But there are some examples including New Grange, Ireland, and some Clava cairns in the north-east of Scotland that have been proposed to include the intentional use of shadows. Both are associated to burial sites using the symbolism of a cyclic light and shadow display to represent eternity. Given the proximity of the Neolithic enclosure and possible ritual importance of this site, the Gardom's Edge monolith could be another such example."

Have just read the full article and found it very interesting even though I am not familiar with Yorkshire archaeology. Lots of speculation again, much of it plausible, though the link to New Grange (they didn't mention Maes Howe) is tenuous as it is not in a tomb as such. I found myself thinking of the Boscawen-un stone circle in Cornwall - as the Gardom Edge stone seems to slant at a similar angle to the centre stone there.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
28th March 2012ce
09:04

Messages in this topic: