The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: The problem with academics...
53 messages
Select a forum:
Have you considered that there are plenty of 'academics' (I guess you mean people paid to be archaeologists?) who have theories that no-one else is really into. or are interested only in very specific eras / locations etc. Perhaps it's not surprising they're not going to drop work on their own theories / years of research to take up your subject, because it might have very little in common with things they're knowledgeable about / interested in.

Do you see what I mean? Perhaps you're taking it too personally. They're probably worrying about whether they're going to be made redundant or whether they can get funding for their latest dig or when they're going to have time to write their next paper. They might not be slagging your ideas off behind your back. They might just be busy with other things. "Don't expect archaeologists to come down here and help you" doesn't necessarily mean they think your theory is nonsense, not at all, surely? (like Howburn Digger has said I think).

You say you've had things published - well that's pretty impressive and lends a lot of kudos and weight to your theories surely.

And what's more, we live in an era when you can put things ont he internet and disseminate them more easily and cheaply than any other time in history. So you're in a good position to get heard.

I'm quite sure people with new ways of looking at things (Tilley springs to mind) always come up against resistance, but it might not necessarily be agressive resistance, it might just be apathy.

You can tell me to mind my own business but I think you'd be much better putting your energies into getting your ideas out there (which incidentally I think it's a fascinating idea - certainly a type of thing that would be previously overlooked, archaeologists traditionally dig things out of the ground, don't they, not observe the landscape?) - I don't think it'd help your cause if one of these Academics stumbles across you getting cross on this forum. I mean I'm trying to be encouraging. It'd be dead easy to start a free blog somewhere and put all your thoughts on it, load up photos etc.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
2nd February 2012ce
16:44

In reply to:

The problem with academics... (rockhopper)

Messages in this topic: