The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
353 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
goffik wrote:
....I have since learned not to clamber around on or near stones that have rockart on them.

But I'm still not sure that any damage would be caused, using your pic as an example. I'm afraid I don't see what's so reprehensible about doing what you did there. You didn't stand on the cupmark, or kick it, or chisel your name into it.

I know Resonox has used the "monkey see, monkey do" argument before, but if someone was to see this picture and do exactly what you did, what harm would be caused? I know it sounds like I'm labouring the point (I probably am), but really this is at the heart of this whole thread. What is it exactly that we are supposed to be "against" and what are we supposed to be "for"?

The silence is deafening. I'm happy to accept that this is because my post has been dismissed as the usual ramblings, but I don't see how we can, collectively, send out any kind of message unless we understand precisely where we stand on this point.

Does anyone have any problem with Goff's picture or the way it was obtained? I don't.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
28th February 2012ce
20:12

In reply to:

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: