The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Raich Forum Start a topic | Search
Raich
Proposed wind farm near Raich stone circle
16 messages
Select a forum:
It's been brought to my attention that a small wind farm development (two turbines) is planned for not far from the [[Raich]] stone circle.

There is a concern that the turbines will impact on the wider landscape associated with (and viewed from) the [[Raich]] stone circle, dominating the surrounding area. Although the actual site of the proposed turbines is in a field between North Balnoon farm and Balnoon Wood (map here) which is maybe a kilometre to the north-east of the circle, so the stones themselves are not under threat, rather their context in the landscape.

Having not visited this site I don't know what effect the turbines will have on the stones, but certainly from the OS map it looks like they will be visible from the circle.

I'm pro-renewable energy, but also pro-ancient sites. In this case it looks to me like the turbines will be far enough away to only create a visual impact, which is something that doesn't really bother me too much if I'm honest. But I thought I would draw it to the attention of others in case anyone feels more strongly.

If anyone wants to object (or read more about the proposed development) the planning application number is
APP/2011/1277 which can be viewed on the Aberdeenshire Council Planning website.

Reply | with quote
BigSweetie
Posted by BigSweetie
20th September 2011ce
00:18

Messages in this topic: