The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
Re: Avebury footpath partly destroyed
85 messages
Select a forum:
head-first wrote:
That's right, it's an area dotted with tumulus, and it provides a wonderful overview of the landscape and the relationship between sites. I think the tumulus are ok, but I'm not sure. I should have taken photos, but was rushing back to the Red Lion to catch a bus!

Another galling thing about this is that a motorcross track has been built around the corner. Not on a public bridleway, but it makes you think: if the farmer can find space for this, he should be able to maintain a footpath.

Thanks for the link - and for taking this seriously. Let us know if you wander up there this weekend!

These things should always be taken seriously imo as the gradual destruction, both deliberately or through neglect, is a common and growing problem.
There are many such stories on this forum and is something that needs to highlighted to everybody at the earliest opportunity.

You also won't be pleased to know that the track actually surrounds Harestone stone circle and the last time I tried visiting there it had been completely fenced out with a padlocked gate and a 'private property' sign.
If its the same farmer it may be a sign of his attitude towards public access and to our heritage on his land.

I am not sure when I will go, I might be able to get there this evening or possibly very early tomorrow morning, I will take a camera and make some notes.

This topic is locked
scubi63
Posted by scubi63
28th August 2011ce
12:17

Messages in this topic: