The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Re: Reclining goddess or Slag Alice?
51 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
I don't disagree that where possible things should be "put back", but let's be realistic about this. You can't put it all back, unless you want to live in a portable tent and follow the migrating herds around.

Everyone would agree with that I'd guess but the question then arises WHICH changes are realistic candidates for "putting back" and to my mind open cast mines and the slag that comes out of them are the number one candidates simply because they are so huge and so absolute (and horrible).

It's not hard for the planning committee is it? "Yes lads, get the coal out if you must but fill in your hole at the end and don't try to save money by giving us this guff about putting a silly face on the pile and calling it a goddess.... " ;)

(If the local community really wanted the sculpture they could have said yes please build it but please also give us the money you'll save on not filling the hole. I suspect the generosity would go away in a puff of smoke at that point.)

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
30th July 2011ce
06:05

In reply to:

Re: Reclining goddess or Slag Alice? (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: