The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Northumberland Forum Start a topic | Search
Northumberland
Re: Reclining goddess or Slag Alice?
51 messages
Select a forum:
ToneStone wrote:
Maybe you should visit South Yorkshire / N.E Derbyshire all our hills are slag tips and most are now covered over with grass and wild flowers and you cannot tell the difference as they have been integrated into the natural landscape.

I think the design is beautiful regardless of what its made from and is far superior to a stinking black and red slag heap.

Like you, I rather liked the land figure – can’t see the problem. A few trees and fifty years on no-one will be able to tell the difference.

There is a ‘new’ forest (Shaw Forest) near to me which is 'a returned to nature' landfill site - doesn't look much at the moment but fifty years on ...

Conversely when attempting to walk to Swinside stone circle from the village of Hallthwaites in South Cumbria earlier in the year we encountered some sort of massive earth moving project – there was a small river nearby with where trees had been felled and re-planted. We asked the workers what was going as the scene seemed to be one of devastation. They were actually filling in a reservoir and returning the area to its natural state.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
26th July 2011ce
16:56

Messages in this topic: