The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Winter Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Winter Hill
Winter Hill/Giants Stone ?
9 messages
Select a forum:
I notice on one site that Winter Hill is also named the Giants Stone.? After reading and walking the moors for years and not finding the right stone I found a document in Bolton Library that might shed some light on the location.According to the document a giant threw the stone from the top of Winter Hill and it landed on Longworth Moor.It says the stone was 14 feet in length,depth 5 feet and breadth 9 feet.A local vicar had a crude crucifix carved into it when locals began to worship next to it.A collection of stones near by, I was told by a local, is aptly named the Devils Chair. After a full day of searching I finally found the stone not too far away on Longworth Moor just before the Hanging Stones.The area is treacherous to walk on but well worth the struggle to get there.Has anyone else seen or found the stone ?

Reply | with quote
Posted by EmaTille
11th July 2011ce
15:52

Messages in this topic: