The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Perth and Kinross Forum Start a topic | Search
Perth and Kinross
Re: Tigh na Cailleach under threat
40 messages
Select a forum:
I tramped in to visit during the Easter school holidays. Drove up to Achallader and walked in stopping for some hill trout commando activity on a high corrie lochan on Beinn Chreachain. It was a beautiful day. I'd longed to fish this loch as it holds some Ice-Age refugees called Arctic Char. After some rod bending I clambered down 1500 feet or so to call in on the Cailleach.
She and her family were present. I ate my picnic there. It is a beautiful lonely setting.
I fully understand why there are no photos or entries here on TMA. There are a number of reasons which dont take much thinking to figure out. I had first become aware of Tigh na Cailleach back about twenty years ago when I read an article by Rennie McOwan in The Scots Magazine where he described walking into the site. I had longed to visit over the years but everything else always seemed to get in the way. I am really glad I did. It was a solo trip and I am glad because it is a long walk in and out and I was pleased toi be able to walk at my own pace. Fast on the easy bits and slow on the harder bits. It took me eight and a half hours (with a spot of fishing included). I suppose you could visit the Cailleach and back in about six.
I didn't see a soul all day until I got back to my car. I cannot recommend a visit highly enough. I saw Golden Eagle, Harriers, Merlin, Red Deer, Arctic Char, Mountain Hares, larks, Grouse... and I wasn't even trying. The publicity about this site is probably as much of a threat (possibly more) as the proposed Hydro. My father worked on the original Hydro Schemes back in the forties and fifties. He built and installed the switching gear on many dams and power stations. I don't know the answer regarding the local power generation plans... but my suggestion is probably something like - "Go see while the Cailleach and her family are still there" - she might not be one day. There is a collection of similarly shaped "portables" at the Visitor Centre at Killin.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
5th May 2011ce
14:44

In reply to:

Tigh na Cailleach under threat (BigSweetie)

Messages in this topic: