The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trefael Forum Start a topic | Search
Trefael
Re: Trefael..more may and maybe's
37 messages
Select a forum:
George Nash wrote:
Hi Roy,
The report should be ready soon and will send you over a PDF copy. Concerning your colleague’s scepticism, a prominent barrow cemetery does stand around 2.5 km to the north but they don't have to be in direct view with Trefael. It could be the case that during the Bronze Age, Trefael and other standing stones (associated with the barrows/cairns) interacted with each other and only the nearest standing stone to the barrow cemetery was intervisible (see Children & Nash 2001 [research in Breconshire]). I will say that your mate Tiompan is a tad curt with his responses. When dealing with archaeology, there are number of approaches one can make. The first and most useful is the report which is usually very flat, banal but informative. However, we are dealing with people but many archaeologists still focus on artefacts. In prehistory, ‘if we don’t have a go’, the subject is dehumanised flat and...guess what...banal. To play safe, I will still use 'maybe'. Like I said earlier, you should have been there. We will be probably excavating/investigating here in June/July 2011 and you are of course welcome to come along and have a look. GHN

Hi George,
Moving sideways a little from this thread and with reference to what the original walesonline article said:-

(Quote) Much like medieval churchgoers wouldn’t just storm into a church or make lots of noise, there would have been various protocols to observe.
I think this is what we can see from the Neolithic people. You don’t just descend on the site itself, you go through a series of markers.
Dr Nash said that explains why we had in Wales, at that time, so many standing stones, especially in the upland areas.
We have got evidence of that at the Trafael site, he added. There were a number of stunning stones, which unfortunately over the years have been pulled up by farmers back in the distant past, which can be found on late 19th century mapping.
The stones worked as a series of markers within the landscape associated with other monuments within the Nevern Valley, such as Pentre Ifan.
They too would have ritual markers within their landscape, guiding their communities to the monument. (end quote)

A week or two back the forum was discussing Ley Lines and how things have developed with them since the days of Alfred Watkins and his book The Old Straight Track. Do you see any similarity or connection between the marker stones you mention and Watkins' original theory on Ley Lines?

Regards
Roy

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
8th December 2010ce
10:26

In reply to:

Re: Trefael..more may and maybe's (George Nash)

Messages in this topic: