The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carn Liath Forum Start a topic | Search
Carn Liath
Re: Grave Goods
29 messages
Select a forum:
drewbhoy wrote:
strathspey wrote:
Hey DB, good to "see" you.

This area did have some settlement around it - even alongside the cairn. There is a historic settlement called Causewayend (not on Canmore or the HER) about a mile East of this location. But they are really old with little link to the present. Tain museum have very little information about the peoples and settlements in the area (except that the Glen was a minor drove roadin the 1700's) which lends me to think that what settlement remains there are ancient and would have no relevance to anyone today.

This site is also so bloody awkward to reach!!

You could try the Groam House Museum at Rosemarkie or the Tarbat Discovery Centre at Portnahamock for info. Groam is fairly big on Pictish stuff so you might find something. All depends if the 'cuts' haven't shut them down.

DB, I feel a wee bit inadequate when discussing the Picts, my knowledge is sparse to say the least!! A tad embarrassing when you consider how close I live to the Tarbet Discovery centre at Portmahomack.

But if you look at grave goods (and more specifically at what I found) then I suppose it does take the whole "respect for our ancestors" and marking their passing a wee bit closer to our timeline

One thing that is still really intrigueing me is who would leave these "memorials"? From my short time following this site I would have thought that my fellow TMAers, who have a great empathy for these sites, would probably be the most likely candidates for leaving some form of respect - not that I think anyone of us would leave plastic flowers on a Long Cairn!!

Does anyone know of someone who would?

Reply | with quote
strathspey
Posted by strathspey
7th November 2010ce
17:19

In reply to:

Re: Grave Goods (drewbhoy)

1 reply:

Re: Grave Goods (drewbhoy)

Messages in this topic: