The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carn Liath Forum Start a topic | Search
Carn Liath
Re: Grave Goods
29 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
strathspey wrote:
Why would anyone leave modern "grave goods" on an ancient burial cairn?

There must be a simple explanation - until you understand the context of the site!!

This long cairn is remote, buried deep within a Foresrty Commission plantation, high on the side of a Highland hillside. It cant be found or even seen by the casual observer. There is no settlement locally that isnt at least 100 years old - probably nearer to 150 years. The hill isnt exceptionally high and the area in general has nothing to distiguish it from dozens of other local Highland hills and glens.

This is really bothering me! I've made enquiries of the Forestry Commission Ranger Service, the local Museum, the HER and even had an article in the local paper (Ross-shire Journal - sorry no link) appealing for an answer and so far the only suggestion I've had is that someone has ben following the recent tradition of laying a memorial on a site that has significance to a loved one.

Unfortunately that just doesnt fit with this site.

HELP!!

I see you had your trusty dog with you strathspey. I go everywhere with one of mine as well. Great companions.

"Noble Hound" that he is!

He loves our stone-hunting trips although he's getting on a bit - almost 14, but as fit as a 2 year old.

Reply | with quote
strathspey
Posted by strathspey
7th November 2010ce
16:30

In reply to:

Re: Grave Goods (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: Grave Goods (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: