The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carn Liath Forum Start a topic | Search
Carn Liath
Re: Grave Goods
29 messages
Select a forum:
megadread wrote:
I'm guessing this is an "offering" left by a loved one to one now passed, i presume this was his / her favourite resting place whilst out walking.
Lots of hills where i live but i'd choose one of the more remote areas to receive my ashes, if i was that way inclined.

Guess I feel the same... sort of ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... let my component elements go back into the 'big pot' from whence they came. My passing, in the great scheme of things, will be irrelevant, as anyone who has ever walked a mountain will know.

What I object to is the plaques/markers etc saying 'so and so was a great guy and loved by everybody he ever met and loved this view'. So what? Give me a break. The same as 19th century graffitti inside chambered cairns.... A E Smythe 1846 [was here and was an arrogant imperialistic bastard]... so what? A E Smythe needed a slap. Why the prehistoric stuff gets away with it - in my book - is because no-one knows who these people were and piling stones/earth over inhumations is the most practical way of stopping animals getting their share.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
7th November 2010ce
11:36

In reply to:

Re: Grave Goods (megadread)

Messages in this topic: