The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carn Liath Forum Start a topic | Search
Carn Liath
Re: Grave Goods
29 messages
Select a forum:
Howburn Digger wrote:
Last month myself and my wee family were over on the Isle of Arran on holiday. Flowers had been placed in the Giants Graves and in the fort at Kings Cross Point (though they may have been intended for the viking ship burial nearby). I suppose some visitors feel they are revering the site or respecting our ancient forbears by doing this. I dont mind it, it is the bottles, fires and rubbish that annoy me.

I used to find it odd that people did this but the older I get and more 'knowledge' I gain I am beginning to fall in line with this respect that appears to be being shown toward our great ancestors. Maybe it's something that is growing out of our disrespect for our 'leaders' today and we are maybe thinking that people were not like that in the past and were honourable human beings. I'm no different I'm sure to most, if not all of us on TMA that we feel a 'presence' when visiting sites that we get from nothing else in our lives. I would like to feel it is a real presence rather than a misguided one.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
6th November 2010ce
12:04

In reply to:

Re: Grave Goods (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: