The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?
50 messages
Select a forum:
I've only seen this site off the bus, going past. Except for five minutes in a rush with a camera I was uncertain of, with a jittery friend who wanted to get to Alston quickly. It's easy to reach with a car - that is its virtue. There are also the Alston Earthworks - not found by me! And the stone circle + at Kirkhaugh. I've stood on the railway embankment at Kirkhaugh, pointed out the outline of the stone circle to the two Northumbrian archaeologists of the time, and they've said 'stone circle'. And they were the most entrenched persons you could meet. Over on the fells, to the NW, there are large stone cairns. Colouring Crags and Broad Mea are the remote and spectacular ones. These are all with Right To Roam access. Not far away is an old copper mine - that's worth a look, and the farmer doesn't mind visitors. Then there's the stone rows of Slaggyford. One is very easy to find, two others less so. And there's the Maiden Way standing stone - another one by the roadside.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
11th October 2010ce
07:20

Messages in this topic: