The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?
50 messages
Select a forum:
Yes, there is plenty of material on Holy Mire, which is the name I've given to the large stone circle and is taken from an old farmhouse nearby. There is more than just a circle, however, and it's mainly listed as 'Kirkhaugh Complex' here. Various stuff on the SMR. It's just into Northumberland and the fifth image, on the site page here, has the instructions for identifying the circle. If you are able to find and identify it you will be the fifth and sixth people, only, to recognise it (in the modern era). There was a small party from here that tried to find it, but were unsuccessful. There are three barrows on the hillside, across the river, two of which were excavated in 1935, that are listed here as 'Kirkhaugh Barrows' (I think), and they are entirely unphotographed. They're clearly marked on the OS and one was the source of the Kirkhaugh Gold earring/ornament/whatever.

To find the circle one must get onto the railway embankment. This is shown in the aerial image on the Kirkhaugh Complex page. The easiest way to get onto it is to park at the roadbridge, over the burn, walk up the road to the farm road, and walk down it to the railway bridge. Then get onto the railway that way. There is a footpath beside the railway - the South Tyne Trail - but the Holy Mire circle can just be seen from the railway line itself. Print a copy of that fifth image, in black and white, and use that to find the same spot on the railway line. Then you should be able to make out the stones, which are flat and mostly covered by turf. That field is a riot of destroyed stone monuments, with some still identifiable. There is stuff in the field beside the river too, and on the hillsides, and further down the valley, as far as Haltwhistle! The Whitehouse four-poster is an outlier to this site and is indicated by stones on the corner and the gateway to an object that would have been in the middle of the circle, which I've named Smallhenge. I think that's how it's listed on the SMR!

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
6th October 2010ce
07:28

Messages in this topic: