The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?
50 messages
Select a forum:
I've posted a couple of photographs and an altered aerial image on the Whitehouse page here. The map reference given there is close enough to locate the stones. As well as the four upright stones in the circle there are two pairs of small outliers each a distance away from the four stones on an axis roughly parallel to the road. These other stones are almost lost in the turf and the easiest pair are not far from the wall that borders Whitehouse. None of the features that I've listed on 'Alston Moor' have been photographed by anyone other than myself. Some are very remote - but also very large. The long barrow at Colouring Crags (^) is the most difficult, perhaps, with Holy Mire stone circle as one of the easiest. The Bold Venture copper mine is somewhere in about the middle and the Tynehead mine utterly unknown and never visited. Where is it (eg) ?

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
5th October 2010ce
16:57

Messages in this topic: