The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?
50 messages
Select a forum:
Creyr wrote:
Just been to a most interesting talk and presentation by Robert Farrah on his research into the astronomical and landscape alignments of the Cumbrian sites as detailed in his book A Guide to the Stone Circles of Cumbria.
see http://www.hayloft.eu/stonecircles.html

It has inspired me anew to further explore our local stones and one question that keeps recurring is why has no one done a geophysics survey of the northern end of the shap avenue area? (the southern end being mostly under the railway/town)
I am wondering if it possible to contract someone to do this sort of thing privately and if so how much it would cost. I bet theres plenty of local people who would be willing to chip in and I certainly wouldnt mind doing a bit of fundraising for such a project.

Any thoughts/pointers/offers/reasons why its a stupid idea gratefully received.

Thanks Claire

It's all well and good getting a geofizz survey done but it's the interpretation of the data that's the real problem.
I'm no expert, far from it, my only experience of geofizz is what i've witnessed on the telly, so not much, but, the interpretation seems to be a mine field to be taken with a large pinch of salt.
How many times have you seen a large "interesting" anomaly turn out to be little or nothing when actually investigated.

Reply | with quote
megadread
Posted by megadread
29th September 2010ce
21:34

Messages in this topic: