The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
118 messages
Select a forum:
faerygirl wrote:
revnox wrote:
faerygirl wrote:
The few things I have read (and maybe it just says a lot about the kind of books I opt for!) suggest its all part of Shaman rituals. If you take certain hallucinogens then you see concentric rings, squiggly lines, zigzags etc.

These were (and still are in areas where there are still shamans) often believed to be the ACTUAL next dimention or the land of the dead or the spirits of wherever you were trying to get to.

When Graham Hancock took ibogaine as study for the book Supernatural he saw the exact symbols that are often seen as rock art in ancient caves such a wiggly lines, serpents and circles.

what exactly do you mean by shaman rituals?
Have you taken significant doses of hallucinogens?
would you therefore say they are interpretations of some psycho-spiritual process? if so what is this process?
When you so vaguely talk of the " land of the dead or the spirits of wherever you were trying to get to. what exactly are you referring to?
This is so vague and open to interpretation that i have no idea of your point!
Please illuminate.

You have no idea of my point. Ok. Quite a few authors (Hancock and Collins spring to mind) Have suggested that rock art is a product of people travelling to other dimentions through various means including trance states (dancing, singing, chanting, hallucinogens) and on their return, they draw what they have seen to enable them a safer or quicker passage to this dimention next time and to please the spirits. Its the kind of thing still used in comunities that have a shaman culture. Its just a guess obviously. We dont have the foggiest what they were for, nobody does!

But if youre still struggling then watch some shows that have modern day shamans (Tribe, Mark and Olly, Bruce Parry on the Amazon) so you can see what shaman type rituals are if you dont know. Then read Supernatural by Graham Hancock or the work of Jeremy Narby.

sorry your point was so shallow I thought that there really must be more substance to your conjecture.
I was obviously wrong !
if you think a overview of shamanism could be achieved by watching such shows or reading such authors then I think i shall leave this attempt at exploration where it is, however thank you for the insight.

Reply | with quote
revnox
Posted by revnox
5th August 2010ce
19:46

Messages in this topic: